NEW DELHI: Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan on Thursday met his son Aryan Khan at the Arthur Road jail in Mumbai for the first time since the latter’s arrest in a case of seizure of drugs from a cruise.
Meanwhile, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) summoned actor Ananya Panday and questioned her for close to two hours after it came across some WhatsApp chats during its probe against Aryan.
Live updates: Cruise ship drugs case
Here are the top developments in the case …
SRK meets son in Mumbai jail
Shah Rukh Khan visited the Arthur road jail, located in Mumbai Central, around 9am and left at 9.35am after a brief meeting with his son.
The prison authorities checked the actor’s Aadhaar card and other documents before he entered the premises, officials said.
After the verification of documents, a token was given to him by prison officials, following which he was allowed to meet his son, who is lodged in the jail’s general cell as an undertrial.
Shah Rukh Khan met his son for about 15 to 20 minutes, a prison official said, adding that there was a glass fencing between them and they spoke on the intercom.
Four guards were present along with them during their conversation, he said.
The actor was allowed to meet his son, as per the prison manual, like any other family member of a prisoner and no special treatment was given to him, the official said.
Aryan’s judicial custody extended till Oct 30
Later in the day, a special NDPS court in Mumbai extended the judicial custody of Aryan Khan and seven others till October 30 in connection with the case.
Their judicial custody was extended by Special Judge V V Patil, designated to hear cases related to the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, though they were not produced in the court.
On Wednesday, the same court had rejected the bail pleas of Aryan Khan and two other co-accused in the case.
Besides Aryan (23), the other accused whose judicial custody was extended by the court are Arbaaz Merchant, Munmun Dhamecha, Nupur Sarika, Ismeet Singh, Mohak Jaswal, Vikrant Chhoker and Gomit Chopra. Their current judicial custody was till October 21.
Aryan Khan, Merchant and Dhamecha have moved the Bombay High court for bail and their pleas will be heard on October 26.
NCB records actor Ananya Panday’s statement
The anti-drug agency on Thursday recorded the statement of Bollywood actor Ananya Panday after it allegedly came across some WhatsApp chats during its investigation against Aryan Khan.
Ananya’s actor father Chunky Panday accompanied her to the NCB office located at Ballard Estate in south Mumbai, where they reached around 4 pm.
After recording her statement, Ananya left the agency office around 6.15 pm, the sources said adding that she is likely to be called on Friday as well.
Ananya’s name cropped up in the case after certain WhatsApp chats between her and Aryan Khan were allegedly found in the latter’s mobile phone, the sources said.
Earlier in the day, the NCB officials seized her mobile phone and laptop, they said.
However, the NCB officials are yet to clarify about her role, if any, in the case.
NCB officials visit SRK’s house
Earlier in the day, NCB sleuths visited Shah Rukh Khan’s residence ‘Mannat’ to seek certain material related to their investigation into the cruise drugs party case.
The visit came shortly after Shah Rukh visit the Arthur road jail to meet his son.
The NCB clarified that went to the actor’s house to collect some documents pertaining to the case and the visit was not a raid.
“NCB team visited Shah Rukh Khan’s residence to collect some documents related to Aryan Khan. No raids were conducted at ‘Mannat,” NCB zonal director Sameer Wankhede told media today.
SRK finds support from Bollywood colleagues, fans
Caught by scores of cameras and jostling crowds as he came out of jail after meeting his son Aryan, Shah Rukh Khan found support from several Bollywood colleagues who said they were heartbroken. His fans, too, gathered in front of his home in a show of solidarity.
Though much of mainstream Bollywood maintained a studied silence, several colleagues, including filmmakers Alankrita Shrivastava, Hansal Mehta and actor Pooja Bhatt, spoke out in support of the family. The media also came in for some attack.
Shah Rukh was mobbed by reporters, one of whom could be heard asking what he talked to Aryan about. The 55-year-old waded his way through a sea of people and got into his car without a word.
He was seen greeting some people with folded hands in videos circulating on social media.
Commenting on a video of media hounding Shah Rukh as he made his way to the car, actor-filmmaker Pooja Bhatt said it was ‘tragic’.
NCP’s Nawab Malik targets Wankhede
Meanwhile, NCP leader and Maharashtra minister Nawab Malik stepped up his attack on NCB and demanded to know Sameer Wankhede was doing in Dubai and the Maldives with his family during the lockdown.
He also threatened him with jail for “concocting drug cases against Bollywood personalities”.
In a dual attack, he shared photos of Wankhede’s family holidaying in Maldives when the entire Bollywood was also there.
“Its very clear all this ‘vasuli’ (extortion) took place in Maldives and Dubai. I am releasing those photos. What was he doing in Maldives-Dubai, he must answer,” Malik said at a public rally in Pune amid a thunderous applause.
Daring Wankhede to come clean on his Dubai-Maldives sojourns with family, Malik said attempts were made to implicate certain film personalities in fake cases and parade them before the NCB.
Wankhede rejects Malik’s allegations
Strongly denouncing Malik’s charges, NCB’s Wankhede said that personal attacks are being made against him and his team over the last 15 days but they won’t deter him.
He also rejected some of the allegations leveled by Malik, saying that he has never been to Dubai. He said that some of the photos shared by the minister with claims that they are from his international trips are actually from Mumbai.
“I did go to Maldives after taking competent authority’s permission. I went with my children and family after taking govt’s permission. If he calls that extortion, then this is not acceptable,” Wankhede told reporters.
He said that such charges won’t affect his morale but will in fact make him stronger. He also said he may take legal action against Malik for his statements.
(With inputs from PTI, ANI)