Kangana Ranaut vs Shiv Sena Live Updates: Bombay HC stops demolition drive, asks BMC to respond

Kangna Ranaut at Chandigarh airport on Wednesday. (Express photo by Jasbir Malhi)

Kangana Ranaut Live News Updates: The Bombay High Court asked the BMC to stop the demolition at Kangana Ranaut’s office and asked the civic body to respond to her petition. The matter will now be taken up at 3 pm tomorrow.

Ranaut had approached the court after the challenging the notice issued by the Mumbai civic body for ‘illegal construction’ at her office and had sought a stay on the demolition process. Sharing pictures of BMC officials demolishing parts of her Pali Hill office, Ranaut repeated her “my Mumbai is PoK now” remark. Her other tweet read, “Pakistan.”

The civic team had served her notice over alleged illegal structures at her office. It had also rejected the actor’s plea seeking extra time to furnish documents to prove the legality of the constructions undertaken on the premises. A fresh notice pasted outside the actor’s office today said that the civic body was not satisfied with the actor’s response and that the demolition will be carried out at her risk, cost, and consequences. “It has been noted that after receipt of the notice you have not stopped continuing the work. Under these circumstances, your request for a maximum seven days to respond to and duly addressed is rejected herewith.”

The development comes in the wake of spat between Ranaut and Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut after the actress had earlier compared Mumbai to Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK).

In yet another tweet, Kangana wrote, “There is no illegal construction in my house, also government has banned any demolitions in Covid till September 30, Bullywood watch now this is what Fascism looks like.”

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday stayed the demolition process initiated by the BMC for illegal construction at actor Kangana Ranaut’s bungalow here and sought to know why did the city civic body enter the property when the owner was not present. Justice S J Kathawalla was hearing a petition filed by Ranaut challenging the notice issued by the BMC for illegal construction at her bungalow. The petition also sought a stay on the demolition process. The court sought to know from BMC how it entered the premises and directed it to file an affidavit in response to the plea. The court has posted the matter for hearing on Thursday.

A BMC team reached the bungalow at Pali Hill in Bandra with bulldozer and excavators and demolished alterations made sans the civic body’s approval.

Inside Kangana’s office
Bulldozer outside Kangana Ranaut’s Mumbai office
Police outside the office demolition
Kangana Ranaut tweets picture of BMC team inside her office

A BMC team reached the bungalow at Pali Hill in Bandra with bulldozer and excavators and demolished alterations made sans the civic body’s approval.

Inside Kangana’s office
Bulldozer outside Kangana Ranaut’s Mumbai office
Police outside the office demolition
Kangana Ranaut tweets picture of BMC team inside her office

“As I am all set for Mumbai Darshan on my way to the (Chandigarh) airport, Maha government and their goons are at my property all set to illegally break it down, go on! I promised to give blood for Maharashtra pride. This is nothing, take everything but my spirit will only rise higher and higher,” Ranaut tweeted shortly before she was to catch an afternoon flight from the Chandigarh international airport. Ranaut, whose comments led to a spat with Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut, had said she felt unsafe in Mumbai after the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput and also spoke of drug use in a section of the film industry.

The Bombay High Court asked the BMC to stop the demolition at Kangana Ranaut’s office and asked the civic body to respond to her petition. The matter will now be taken up at 3 pm tomorrow.

Mumbai Police have made adequate security arrangements near the airport ahead of actress Kangana Ranaut’s arrival, an official said on Wednesday. Earlier this week, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had accorded Y+ category security to her after she expressed a threat to her life as she spoke about drug use among a section in the film industry, following the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput.

Actor Kangana Ranaut approached the Bombay High Court on Wednesday challenging the notice issued by the Mumbai civic body for ‘illegal construction’ at her bungalow here, and sought a stay on the demolition process. “We filed a petition this morning seeking urgent hearing. We have sought a stay on the demolition process by way of interim relief,” Ranaut’s advocate Rizwan Siddiqui told PTI.

A BMC team reached the bungalow at Pali Hill in Bandra with bulldozer and excavators and demolished alterations made sans the civic body’s approval. Ranaut, who is scheduled to reach later in the day, has alleged that the Maharashtra government is targeting her because of her fight with the Shiv Sena

Bulldozer outside Kangana Ranaut’s Mumbai office

Kangana Ranaut had purchased the bungalow in 2017 and had renovated it in January this year.

On Tuesday, the BMC had issued a notice under section 354(A) of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation (MMC) Act, directing the actor to stop the ongoing work on the premises and produce the permissions for the “illegal” constructions. She was given 24 hours to file a reply with documentary evidence. The civic body had also filed a ‘caveat’ in a local court, saying it should be heard first if Ranaut challenges a stop-work notice issued to her.

As per the notice, the ongoing renovation and finishing work inside the bungalow was “beyond the approved plan”. Some of the illegal constructions mentioned in the notice include the conversion of a toilet on ground floor into an office space, construction of a kitchen inside a storeroom and new toilets near a storeroom, conversion of a balcony into a habitable area, merger of one bungalow with another, and extension of the third floor

Earlier this week, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had accorded Y+ category security to Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut after she expressed threat to her life as she spoke about drug use among a section in the film industry, following the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput.