MUMBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday officially denied speculation that a decision had been taken to postpone the T20 World Cup in Australia, scheduled to take place from October 18 to November 15 this year. The world governing body of the game, though, did say that it “is exploring a number of contingency plans” to stage the event in the light of Covid-19 pandemic.
“The reports of a postponement of the ICC T20 World Cup 2020 are inaccurate and planning for the event continues whilst a number of contingency plans are being explored in the light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the Covid-19 virus,” an ICC spokesperson told TOI on Wednesday.
It has been reported that the postponement might open up a window for the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) in October-November, something that the BCCI wouldn’t be unhappy about. The ICC’s all-powerful board will hold a tele-conference on Thursday, where a lengthy discussion on the issue is set to take place.
Manohar not seeking an extension
The ICC has also shot down talk that its outgoing chairman, Shashank Manohar, will seek an extension to his term, in view of the coronavirus pandemic having affected the game severely. “The ICC board met yesterday to discuss the process for electing the next Chair of the ICC. No final decision was taken regarding the election process and the subject will be discussed further at the next ICC Board meeting on Thursday. The existing Chair (Manohar), confirmed that he was not seeking any extension to his term but would support the Board and ensure a smooth transition,” said the spokesperson.
Ever since former South African captain Graeme Smith remarked that current BCCI president Sourav Ganguly was ideal for the role, there has been speculation that the former India captain might become the next ICC chairman. The election for the ICC chairman post is set to be held in July in the ICC’s annual conference.